the compound annual growth rate for eCommerce
of consumers want interactive help while buying online
of online retail sales in the US is through eCommerce
eCommerce is where your customers are headed this holiday season and the next, but are you ready? The number of smartphone owners is increasing exponentially year-on-year. Tablets, particularly, iPads, are very popular with the new generation—a significant volume of web sales is conducted over that device. But, while ecommerce volume is increasing every year, so is shopping abandonment. The reasons of abandonment can be many—a cluttered website, unexpected shipping costs, lack of personal assistance at crucial points in the purchasing process—but the main issue is the retailer’s unpreparedness to meet the expectations of a social networking, channel hopping, multi-device using customer base.
Industry challenges and eGain solutions
Customers might prefer self-service but also want personal assistance
There are many occasions during the shopping journey—in the research, decide, and buy stages—that make customers abandon a session midway. At these times, a large number of consumers (close to 60%) look for some sort of personalized assistance. If they receive that timely help, they are more likely to complete the transaction and possibly, buy more.
- eGain solutions proactively engage the customer at the right time to save the deal. They enable businesses to present tailored offers on websites, such as, shipping discounts, deals, coupons, marketing content, agent assistance through chat, click to call, or cobrowse etc.
- Agents guide customers to fill up high value complex forms and complete the transaction.
Holiday season shopping is increasingly shifting to the Web
Customers want to transact with you over the channel and device of their choice. Apologizing for not being available over any of those touchpoints is no good (it’s only value lies in its ability to drive your customers to the competitor).
- eGain solutions provide a seamless experience across touchpoints. A contemporary interface, common across devices—desktops, smartphones, tablets (Apple iPhone and iPad, Android-based devices), enables consistent branding and customer experiences.
Online and offline customer journeys are joined
Shoppers don’t follow a linear path to a sales or service goal. Just as the Web is influencing retail sales with people researching products, prices, and deals online but buying in-store, offline or in-store experiences are also affecting web sales. It’s essential that you provide consistent service and information at every point the customer touches you.
- All eGain solutions are built on the unique customer engagement hub (CEH) platform. So, every in-store staff and contact center or field agent, across channels, has access to the same set of processes, technology, knowledge base, analytics, and 360-degree multichannel view of the customer. This enables them to deliver informed, consistent, and satisfactory customer experiences.
Social is the new word-of-mouth
Social recommendations and reviews, even by strangers, is the new word-of-mouth. Additionally, social media is now being used by B2C companies to drive business to their retail stores or websites.
- eGains solutions for social customer service and reputation management allow eBusinesses to engage with social customers in the social cloud, with the flexibility of taking the conversation private to a traditional channel like email or chat. The customer can also be provided links to a secure message center in case of sensitive communications.
Old problems in new bottle
eCommerce is suffering from the same old problems of customer retention, shrinking basket size, cart abandonment, and rising customer service costs.
- The eGain hub enables B2C companies to provide best-in-class and integrated web self-service, email response management, knowledge management, and web collaboration over social, mobile, web, and contact center channels. It has helped many eCommerce companies deliver superior customer experiences and save costs. eGain also addresses the customer’s safety and security concerns by getting certifications for conducting secure transactions over the internet.
BEST PRACTICE ADVICE
Just like in brick-and-mortar sales, the final purchase is where the rubber meets the road in digital sales. But a lot of heavy lifting needs to happen in customer engagement and selling before that final purchase. Here are some innovations drawn from the brick-and-mortar retail world. Leverage them in the digital world and see the results.
From the archives