Digital Customer Service (DCS): 7 Best Practices to Go from Dreadful to Delightful
by De-emphasizing Telephone Calls by Steve Blood). The result? Horrendous phone wait times, clueless conversations, and customer rage! No wonder industry benchmarks like the Forrester CX Index have been stuck in neutral with the 2022 CX Index being exactly the same as the one for 2018! The question then is what is the path to DCS excellence? Here are six steps to getting there.
Make self-service smarter
Make sure you back your digital self-service with a robust knowledge management (KM) system that helps customers find answers with search methods that go beyond simple keyword search to include virtual assistance, natural language search, faceted search, and AI search (e.g., instant answers, leveraging Large Language Models (ala ChatGPT). You can then take it to the next level by leveraging AI reasoning for self-service. Reasoning technology solves problems and provides advice to customers through a conversation like a human expert would. Here are a few examples from our clientele:
- Clothing and home décor retailer deflected 40% of phone calls to contextual digital self-service and agent-assisted digital messaging
- Fortune 200 manufacturer, whose name is synonymous with tires, serves OEM clients and customer service associates in hundreds of retail stores with our digital-first conversation hub, using virtual assistance, messaging, and chat, backed by our knowledge and AI hub
- Hypergrowth digital retailer in the UK was able to deflect up to 90% of phone calls with digital self-service through knowledge-guided self-service across multiple brands
Push the digital CX limit
Beyond digital self-service, a best-in-class DCS solution would provide deep capabilities to engage customers through messaging (SMS and social messaging apps), text and video chat, AI-guided digital self-service, secure cobrowse with simultaneous chat or phone conversation to handhold customers through website navigation and form-filling, proactive DCS through omni-digital notifications, etc. Best-in-class DCS solutions also deliver a connected experience across those touchpoints through a conversation hub.
For instance, channel-integrated, knowledge and AI-enabled chatbots can answer queries, take customers on a website tour, push relevant web pages, and escalate with context to a live agent, when needed, with all the context intact. Secure, cobrowse-aided form-filling with concurrent chat or phone conversation (such interactions are called “multimodal”) can help avoid an expensive customer interaction in a branch office. In fact, cobrowsing leads all touchpoints in CSAT at 78%, according to Forrester! Likewise, video chat might help avert a field visit by an insurance claims expert or reduce the need for shoppers to drive to a retail store. This reduces effort for the customer, cost for the business, and even damage to the planet! Here are some examples from our clientele:
- Fortune 10 company sends 1.5 billion digital notifications per year for proactive and preemptive customer service, informed by knowledge and powered by our conversation hub
- Behemoth US government agency deflected up to 70% of incoming calls to knowledge-backed virtual assistance, reduced case handling time by 25%, and elevated agent engagement to 92%, beating their industry benchmark of 67%!
- The retiree service arm of one of the most populous US states serves over 2.6 million retirees with our secure cobrowse capability, where customers can fill forms online to claim retirement benefits without having to go to a branch office. eGain Cobrowse enables the contact center to hide sensitive information such as the customer’s social security number and allows only the customer to complete online transactions, compliant with regulations
As you look for best-in-class DCS, make sure that it offers rich capabilities out of the box for quick business value. Don’t be stuck with disparate point products and vanilla platform-toolkit combos that call for non-stop integrations and multi-year development and customization projects!
Don’t forget the agent desktop
Make agents smarter
- Leading health insurance company reduced agent training time by 33% and sustained agent performance even when their 2000+ agents had to go remote overnight when Covid hit
- Leading telco improved First-Contact Resolution (FCR) by 37%, while reducing training time by 50% across 10,000+ agents and 600 retail associates and improving Net Promoter Score (NPS) by 30 points
- Global bank improved FCR from 70% to 95%,while reducing agent training time from 10 weeks to 4 weeks while being compliant with regulations
Analyze, analyze, analyze
“Hub” it all together