Legacy IVRs fail to deliver good experiences, underscoring need for digitalization
SurveyMonkey research by eGain finds that consumers face roadblocks at every step of their journeys across IVR and agent-assisted customer service
Sunnyvale, CA (March 17, 2020): eGain (NASDAQ: EGAN), the leading cloud platform for customer engagement automation, today announced the results of their survey on customer experiences with IVR systems. The central finding was that legacy IVRs frustrate customers due to long hold times and their inability to resolve queries. Most customers “zero” out to a human agent, and upon escalation, bear the burden of repeating context to the agent. Adding to their frustration are the inconsistent answers consumers get across touchpoints.
Focused on the US market, the survey was conducted in February and March 2021. The results were compiled from 500 respondents who had used smartphones to call businesses or government agencies for customer service in the last 12 months.
- 88% said that the IVRs were not intelligent enough, with 38% saying they were unintelligent or somewhat unintelligent
- 60% zeroed out to a human operator very often or often, and an additional 26% somewhat often
- 67% wrestled with the IVR for 5 minutes or longer, 41% for 15 minutes or longer, before trying to get to an agent
- 70% waited for 5 minutes or longer to get the human agent on the phone upon escalation, 43% for 15 minutes or longer
- A whopping 73% had to repeat information they had already entered at the IVR to the human agent
- 44% said they got different answers from different touchpoints
- And more
Most IVRs have no connectivity with digital channels, missing a big opportunity to deflect smartphone callers to digital self-service. Moreover, making changes to IVR business logic requires IT involvement. “Companies cannot simply throw away their legacy IVR systems, given the large investments they have made in them,” said Ashu Roy, eGain CEO. To add to the problem, they have very little insight into the customer experience their IVR banks are delivering.
eGain SmartIVR™ is an over-the-top solution to modernize IVR systems, making it easy to deflect smartphone callers to digital self-service or agent-assisted messaging, powered by AI and knowledge guidance. Business users can change IVR logic in a snap and optimize the IVR experience with end-to-end analytics. “Our clients,” said Ashu Roy, “are quickly digitalizing their IVRs, deflecting over 30% of customer calls to digital service in just days after deployment.”
- Report of research findings: https://hd.egain.com/ivr-customer-experience-report.pdf
- Related webinar with Sheila McGee-Smith, premier contact center analyst: http://bit.ly/3rDQHr7
- eGain SmartIVR: https://www.egain.com/smart-ivr/
- eGain Virtual Assistant: https://www.egain.com/products/chatbot-virtual-assistant-software/
- eGain Messaging Hub: https://www.egain.com/messaging-hub/
- eGain Suite: https://hd.egain.com/overviews/egain-suite.pdf
- eGain Innovation in 30 Days™: https://www.egain.com/innovation-in-30-days/
eGain customer engagement platform automates digital-first, omnichannel experiences across all touchpoints. Powered by AI, machine learning, knowledge, and analytics, our top-rated software optimizes customer journeys with virtual assistance, messaging hub, and desktop to serve customers, reduce cost, and improve compliance. To learn more, visit www.eGain.com.
eGain, the eGain logo, and all other eGain product names and slogans are trademarks or registered trademarks of eGain Corp. in the United States and/or other countries. All other company names and products mentioned in this release may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies.
eGain media contact
Phone: 408 636 4514