Chatbots rank dead last in customer satisfaction as digital service demand grows amid COVID-19
Sunnyvale, CA (July 29, 2020): eGain (NASDAQ: EGAN), the leading provider of customer engagement solutions, today announced that chatbots ranked at the bottom among digital touchpoints in customer satisfaction during the initial outbreak of COVID-19.
Conducted by Dimensional Research on behalf of eGain and fielded in June 2020, the survey was administered to thousands of consumers, who had used a digital channel for customer service across six industries in April and May 2020. Here are key findings:
- Chatbots aka virtual assistants rank at the bottom among digital service options, including chatbots, messaging, chat, cobrowse, email, and social
- 57% of consumers were frustrated with inconsistent answers across chatbot and human-assisted service. This highlights the importance of taking a unified, omnichannel approach to customer context and knowledge management.
- 80% of consumers increased the use of digital customer service
- Millennials and Gen Z consumers are leading this trend with 92% and 87% of such respondents increasing their use of digital customer service, followed by Gen X at 79% and even boomers at 69%.
“Digital service is the answer to contact center challenges,” said Ashu Roy, eGain CEO. “Chatbots are great but only when they are easy, smart, and connected.”
- Report of survey findings: https://www.egain.com/covid-19-digital-customer-service-engagement/
- eGain Virtual Assistant: https://www.egain.com/products/virtual-assistant-software/
- eGain Suite: https://hd.egain.com/overviews/egain-suite.pdf
- eGain Chatbot and Messaging in 7 days: https://www.egain.com/messaging-chatbot-in-7-days/
- eGain Innovation in 30 Days™: https://www.egain.com/innovation-in-30-days/
*Findings were compiled from 625 respondents, who had used a digital channel to contact banks and credit unions, insurance, communications service providers, healthcare (including insurance and providers), retailers (including online retail), and government entities with a minimum of 100 respondents for each sector.
Our omnichannel customer engagement solutions power digital-first experiences for leading brands. Infused with AI, machine learning, knowledge, and analytics, our award-winning platform helps clients automate and optimize customer journeys via virtual assistance, messaging, social, mobile, web, and contact centers. To learn more about eGain, visit https://www.egain.com.
eGain, the eGain logo, and all other eGain product names and slogans are trademarks or registered trademarks of eGain Corp. in the United States and/or other countries. All other company names and products mentioned in this release may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies.
eGain media contact
Phone: 408 636 4514